November 11th, 2013
After a pretty quiet fall, I’m going to be at a few events in the next couple weeks. Details!
- Next Sunday, November 17th at 3pm, I’ll be reading at the Draft Reading Series alongside a whole bunch of excellent writers: Julia Campbell-Such, Jack Hillary, Sandra Kasturi,
Amanda Leduc, and Ursula Pflug. Draft does a few neat things most reading series don’t: It asks writers to read something in progress, or in a genre they’re not known for, or otherwise zig where you usually zag. It’s looking like a really interesting afternoon, and it’ll be at The Black Swan Tavern, at 154 Danforth.
- Secondly, I’ll be attending SFContario 4 in Toronto, Ontario from November 29 to December 1, 2013. My panel schedule’s forthcoming, but I’ll post it when it’s here.
Hope to see you there!
October 18th, 2013
“On Living Authors,” my first poetry publication in a long time, is out in the Fall 2013 issue of Goblin Fruit today — as part of a table of contents that’s frankly stunning.
Mike Allen has a whole poetry cycle featured, and there’s really thought-provoking, gorgeous work from Liz Bourke, Samantha Henderson, Sonya Taaffe (always!) and Beth Langford. If you’re a poetry reader and not already reading Goblin Fruit, I really suggest you do. It’s constantly fantastic.
August 15th, 2013
It’s been a pretty quiet summer, what with the Being Sick and then my trip, face first, into revising ON ROADSTEAD FARM:
…but I do have an August reading to tell you about, and not the usual YA kind.
Carl Brandon Award nominee Elwin Cotman is touring his brand new book, and I’ll be reading with him and poet Kelly Rose Pflug-Back as that tour hits Toronto. As the event page puts it: Cheap drinks, live music, and books available for purchase!
The event’s at The 460 on Spadina, on Wednesday, August 21st at 7pm. Hope to see you there!
June 26th, 2013
As promised in my last post!
Readercon (aka, Most Wonderful Time of the Year) goes down in a few weeks in Burlington, MA. Behold the schedule!
Thursday, July 11
Friday, July 12
Saturday, July 13
Suggested by Leah Bobet.
June 13th, 2013
Now that that draft is done, I will be going out places again! Some of them may be near you!
- First and foremost, I’ll be reading from Above at the Cat Sass Norwood Literary Night this Saturday, June 15 at 5pm, alongside novelist Shane Joseph and poet Wes Ryan. If you’re in the area, come by for three writers and a bit of Q&A!
- Secondly, I’ll be at Readercon in Burlington, MA from July 11-14, 2013. There will be a panel schedule and possibly a reading attached to this, but it’s still forthcoming.
See you there!
April 27th, 2013
Embargo is off!
I’m honoured to announce that ABOVE is a nominee for the 2013 Aurora Award for Best YA Novel, alongside work from Kelley Armstrong, Charles de Lint, Cory Doctorow, Neil Godbout, and Mitchell Plested.
–and that “Hold Fast”, which appeared in Strange Horizons last June, is nominated as well in the Best Poem/Song category, alongside work from Carolyn Clink, David Clink, Sandra Kasturi, and Helen Marshall.
The final ballot’s available for your examination here, and congratulations to everyone nominated!
April 24th, 2013
Spring’s finally sticking around here, and I am daring to leave my writer cave. Which means: A bucket of upcoming public appearances! Behold the list of them!
- If you’re interested in hearing about the writing process, Toronto’s underground spaces, and the secrets of cities, I’m doing a Keep Toronto Reading event on just those things on Thursday, April 25, 2013 at 7pm, at the Kennedy/Eglinton branch of the Toronto Public Library. There will be books for sale at this one, if only a handful!
- The Apocalypse Tour is riding again, with a few Southern Ontario dates! On Thursday, May 2, 2013, we’ll be at Essa Public Library’s Angus Branch in Angus, Ontario at 4pm — and by we, we mean Megan Crewe, Adrienne Kress, Maureen McGowan, and Cheryl Rainfield.
- On May 4 at 2pm, Megan, Maureen, Cheryl, and I will descend upon Chapters South London to answer questions, sign books, and terrorize the populace. There’s a Facebook event page here if you’re minded to RSVP, and it’ll be Maureen’s birthday, so a good round of the happy birthday song is welcomed and encouraged!
- On May 5 at 2pm, Megan, Maureen, Cheryl, and Courtney Summers will finish this mini-leg of the Apocalypse Tour without me at Chapters Oshawa, because I am flaking to lead a Jane’s Walk that afternoon.
- Finally, I will be at the Nebula Awards Weekend in San Jose, CA, from May 16-19, 2013. I plan to have a kicky awards dress and a minimum of jet lag.
And that’s the news!
February 20th, 2013
I am so bewilderingly surprised to say this, but:
Above is a nominee for the Andre Norton Award for Young Adult Science Fiction and Fantasy. Also known as the YA wing of the Nebula Awards.
Official announcement here, rife with jaw-droppingly good company: congrats to everyone on the ballot!
(I continue stunned. The Nebulas. What a world. )
January 1st, 2013
A long sleep-in after a cozy New Year’s party; blackberry pancakes for breakfast; a quiet afternoon; a work date with the boyfriend; words written for ON ROADSTEAD FARM, and some on a short story besides; St. Lawrence Market pierogies and a spinach salad for dinner; a clear sky, a telescope, and the stars.
Sounds about right.
Happy New Year, everyone.
December 22nd, 2012
…it’s officially official: I’ll be reading at the ChiSeries, in Toronto’s Kensington Market, on January 9th at 8pm, alongside YA authors Bryan Dearsley and Andrew Wagner-Chazalon. Snacks, drinks, and words for everyone!
RSVP at the event page, and check it for further details — hope to see you there!