January 30th, 2017
The first author event of the year is coming up fast: This Saturday night, I’ll be contributing a reading to Resistance Culture Cabaret at Glad Day Bookshop, a pay-what-you-can fundraiser for Toronto Slutwalk, which works to end rape culture and sexual violence worldwide.
If you’re free next Saturday night, please come on out: There’ll be lots of artists in Glad Day’s brand new space, and all cover to a good cause.
January 13th, 2016
It’s finally snowing, and I’ve spent my 2016 so far bunkered down and happily drafting new work, but I’ll be showing my face in a few places this January (and early February!):
I’ll be at this year’s OLA Super Conference, signing copies of An Inheritance of Ashes at the Scholastic Canada booth (#211!) at 2pm on Friday, January 29th, 2016. Looking forward to seeing both familiar and new faces there!
The Monday after, on February 1st, I’ll be reading with series founder and short story author Andrew J. Simpson and McIllquham Foundation Prize winner Nicole Chin at Words at the Wise, Wisebar’s monthly reading series. This one’s obviously 19+.
Hope to see you all there!
October 13th, 2015
The preliminary schedule is up for the 2015 World Fantasy Convention in Saratoga Springs, NY, and while this is still preliminary — there might be some changes — here’s where it looks like I’ll be.
Thursday, November 5
5:00 pm Reading — Leah Bobet — Broadway 2
I’ll be reading from An Inheritance of Ashes and talking briefly about the book!
Friday, November 6
8:00 pm Autographing — CC2A and CC2B
Saturday, November 7
11:00 am The Quest is Dead, Long Live the Quest? — CC2A
Leah Bobet, Sarah Beth Durst, Janeen Webb, Chelsea Quinn Yarbro (mod.)
Sometimes there are narrative arcs and techniques that just fall out of favour, but is the quest one of them? The panel will discuss the great quest narrative and how new stories are finding ways to make quests interesting again.
Hope to see you there!
September 18th, 2015
I mentioned a busy fall event season a few days ago, and, well, I’m pleased to announce the first of them:
I’ll be reading from An Inheritance of Ashes, talking fantasy and science fiction, and signing books alongside excellent authors Megan Crewe and Natale Ghent at this year’s Word on the Street Festival!
Supernatural Sovereignty: Humans Defending the Earth
Nobody likes to be pushed around, but the assertions of dominance in these fantasy novels go beyond bully threats or pressure from parents. Join Megan Crewe, Leah Bobet, and Natale Ghent in conversation as they discuss the use of aliens, gods, monsters, and demons as larger-than-life villains in their novels.
To say I’m happy about this is kind of an understatement. Word on the Street has been one of my favourite lit events for years (I may have renamed it Personal Christmas) and getting to be a part of it is going to be frankly awesome.
The stuff goes down at Harbourfront Centre on Sunday, September 27, 2015 at 12:30 pm, on the This is Not the Shakespeare Stage, with signing afterwards.
Hope to see you there!
September 16th, 2015
An Inheritance of Ashes is out October 1st in Canada, October 6th in the US — and so it’s time for the fun bit.
If you’re in the Toronto area, please come on out to D-Beatstro at Bloor and Lansdowne celebrate as we launch AN INHERITANCE OF ASHES on Thursday, October 15th with music, delicious baked goods, reading, signing, raffle prizes, original art, and some special guests, including:
The party starts at 7pm! Please come by and get a little too caffeinated, chat, and help launch this book at least above Earth orbit!
RSVP at the Facebook event — and RSVPs are important here, since there are drink tickets involved.
D-Beatstro is a community art space and cafe just east of Bloor and Lansdowne, dedicated to local music, art, social justice, workshops, and more! The venue is 100% accessible, has gender-neutral washrooms, and will be serving up Dark City coffee, tea, and delicious vegan-friendly snacks.
Hope to see you there!
If you’re outside of town and still like snacks and fun, fear not: I’ll be launching the book in Ottawa as well at CanCon the weekend of October 30th-November 1st (details to come!) and there’s a full slate of events for this fall. Most of which will probably include snacks and fun.
August 15th, 2013
It’s been a pretty quiet summer, what with the Being Sick and then my trip, face first, into revising ON ROADSTEAD FARM:
…but I do have an August reading to tell you about, and not the usual YA kind.
Carl Brandon Award nominee Elwin Cotman is touring his brand new book, and I’ll be reading with him and poet Kelly Rose Pflug-Back as that tour hits Toronto. As the event page puts it: Cheap drinks, live music, and books available for purchase!
The event’s at The 460 on Spadina, on Wednesday, August 21st at 7pm. Hope to see you there!
June 13th, 2013
Now that that draft is done, I will be going out places again! Some of them may be near you!
- First and foremost, I’ll be reading from Above at the Cat Sass Norwood Literary Night this Saturday, June 15 at 5pm, alongside novelist Shane Joseph and poet Wes Ryan. If you’re in the area, come by for three writers and a bit of Q&A!
- Secondly, I’ll be at Readercon in Burlington, MA from July 11-14, 2013. There will be a panel schedule and possibly a reading attached to this, but it’s still forthcoming.
See you there!
April 24th, 2013
Spring’s finally sticking around here, and I am daring to leave my writer cave. Which means: A bucket of upcoming public appearances! Behold the list of them!
- If you’re interested in hearing about the writing process, Toronto’s underground spaces, and the secrets of cities, I’m doing a Keep Toronto Reading event on just those things on Thursday, April 25, 2013 at 7pm, at the Kennedy/Eglinton branch of the Toronto Public Library. There will be books for sale at this one, if only a handful!
- The Apocalypse Tour is riding again, with a few Southern Ontario dates! On Thursday, May 2, 2013, we’ll be at Essa Public Library’s Angus Branch in Angus, Ontario at 4pm — and by we, we mean Megan Crewe, Adrienne Kress, Maureen McGowan, and Cheryl Rainfield.
- On May 4 at 2pm, Megan, Maureen, Cheryl, and I will descend upon Chapters South London to answer questions, sign books, and terrorize the populace. There’s a Facebook event page here if you’re minded to RSVP, and it’ll be Maureen’s birthday, so a good round of the happy birthday song is welcomed and encouraged!
- On May 5 at 2pm, Megan, Maureen, Cheryl, and Courtney Summers will finish this mini-leg of the Apocalypse Tour without me at Chapters Oshawa, because I am flaking to lead a Jane’s Walk that afternoon.
- Finally, I will be at the Nebula Awards Weekend in San Jose, CA, from May 16-19, 2013. I plan to have a kicky awards dress and a minimum of jet lag.
And that’s the news!
December 22nd, 2012
…it’s officially official: I’ll be reading at the ChiSeries, in Toronto’s Kensington Market, on January 9th at 8pm, alongside YA authors Bryan Dearsley and Andrew Wagner-Chazalon. Snacks, drinks, and words for everyone!
RSVP at the event page, and check it for further details — hope to see you there!