July 10th, 2012
A few years ago, Mike Allen, a writer, poet, and editor I knew through the general mush of the SFF scene, dropped me an e-mail: He was starting up a new original anthology series for literary-weird genre fiction, and would I like to send a story? Mike’s a great editor (and a great guy in general), so of course, the answer was yes. I wrote something justifiably odd, sent it his way, and it was accepted for the first volume of Clockwork Phoenix.
And then I saw theothernames there, and my jaw dropped a little.
A couple of those stories were reprinted in Year’s Best anthologies. A few got nominated for awards. For a first outing from a small press, that book hit big, and it deserved it. It was really, really good.
The Clockwork Phoenixteam published two more installments before the economy tanking finally forced their publisher, Norilana Books, to cut back its list. It’s been a few years since a new volume came out. But now, Mike and Anita Allen are looking at putting out Clockwork Phoenix 4, and they’ve started a huge, reward-filled, Kickstarter campaign to fund it.
If you like odd, beautifully written, literary SFF fiction and have a couple bucks to spare, go check out that link: you might want to throw it at making CP4 happen. They have some great prizes available for donors, including the first three volumes of the series, and that’s worth your money alone. It’s up for about a month: check it out!
- It is true that if I had a mini-Matrix I would so be all: "I know Bearnaise." >.> https://t.co/AlYMiyAWbM,
- @normwilner And hence all toilets in the land will be called Johns etc. etc. :),
- @Shiroiko I would 100% be up for that!,
- Hello, Team. I am more than a little charmed by how excited you all are about the Census. :),
- @Shiroiko To your interests? https://t.co/aJ1PQ9qmYD,