July 3rd, 2012
If you’re in the Toronto area this weekend, Polaris 26 is going down in Richmond Hill, and I’m going to be a professional participant (read: person who does panels and stuff) there. I’ll be working most of the weekend at the Bakka-Phoenix Books table in the Dealer’s Room, but when I’m not, I’ll be at:
Saturday, July 7
3:00 pm, President’s Boardroom – Leah Bobet Reading
4:00 pm, King City – Distinct Languages And Dialects In Science Fiction. Neil Jamieson-Williams, Norman Spinrad, Leah Bobet. Worldbuilding is essential when writing a science fiction story, and often a part of that worldbuilding is the creation of a new language or dialect. Whether it’s an entirely new language such as Klingon or Elvish, or the creation of future slang such as in the Hitchhikers Guide universe, the way characters speak play an important role in developing a science fiction universe.
5:00 pm, Marketplace/Dealer’s Room – Autographs
Sunday, July 8
11:00am, Room 1080 – Meet the Pros Brunch
1:00pm, Stouffville – The Future Of Getting People From Point A To Point B. David Stephenson, Leah Bobet (m), Neil Jamieson-Williams, Ian Stuart. As scientists work to determine how to reduce carbon-monoxide levels and gas demands in our cars, others argue that mass transportation is the future. The Japanese have bullet trains, Torontonians are considering light rail transit, while New Yorkers rely heavily on their subway system. But what is the future of transportation? What new developments are occuring to make mass transportation easier or more cost-effective for cities to run, to make cars more fuel-efficient or to make air travel safer?
Hope to see you there!
- Quantified skill in @PhilippeMcNally's and my latest design doc: "Being a dick but not THAT much of a dick." #gamedev,
- @sakuralovestea Still obsessing deeply over that. :),
- @sakuralovestea I might have to buy this one.,
- @sakuralovestea Yah -- it's this gorgeous reversal. And then the whole thing clicks into place, why he's saying that about himself. :),
- @sakuralovestea Check this out. Layers deep. o.o https://t.co/qHtegRtKju,